Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Best New Recipes of 2013

 

Truth be told, I haven't tried many new recipes this year. But I've been trying to not buy bread. Most of it tastes like flavored air, and the ones that are good are very expensive. I've only bought two loaves of store bread since August. One was to make the turkey stuffing for Thanksgiving, and one was for the sandwiches for Christmas. I wasn't sure I should foist my obsession on other family members.

One really good bread recipe comes from Sylvia, of Secondary Roads. It took me a couple of tries, even though she said it was foolproof. You saw the results of that in Sylvia's Bread Recipe- Try #2. Here's the picture again of how that came out.

homemade bread

I also had good luck with a recipe I tried earlier in the year for hamburg or hot dog rolls. I've tried a bunch of those over the years, and never found one that came out to my liking. This one did.

homemade hamburger rolls

It's not my recipe, but I posted an article about trying it with more pictures and a link to the actual recipe at Trying Maggie Murphy's Hamburger and Hot Dog Buns.

Now I need to make another batch of those, because there is still sloppy joe filling all made and in the freezer!

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


4 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

You're doing a great thing for yourself. There aren't many things better than homemade bread.

Ann said...

I've never attempted to make my own bread other than quick breads. I'm just not that ambitious :) Yours looks good

Secondary Roads said...

Sylvia's bread is great! She has been using this recipe for over 30 years. I'm glad you are enjoying it too.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

It's a great season for baking, isn't it? And those buns look both beautiful and delicious. Enjoy!