Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Cup Full of Sunshine

 
The weather continues ditto, as do all other local status reports. That means I'm continuing to work at labeling and filing pictures from last spring's hike. Should have been done months ago, but at least I'm doing it.

How about some wonderful buttercups, Ranunculus acris?

photo label

These are "nothing special." At least in a botanical sense. They are called common buttercup (or tall buttercup). They aren't even native to the U.S. They are found in Michigan, but not as much as in the east. Buttercups seemed to be everywhere in the summer when I was a child.

Of course we all held the cups beneath each other's chins. If the yellow color reflected off skin we said the other person liked butter. They were great to gather in bouquets to take to our mothers because they didn't wilt before we even got home. And who isn't cheered by that pure yellow color?

The leaves are large and deeply cut.

photo label

I suppose because I don't see them all the time here, I am especially heartened at the sight of a roadside lined with the cheerful blossoms.

So, today, I share this sunshiny memory with you.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

6 comments:

Ann said...

I remember not only doing the buttercup test when I was a kid but passing it on to my kids.
Thanks for the cup of sunshine and the walk down memory lane :)

Duxbury Ramblers said...

R. acris is one of our commonest buttercups we call it Meadow Buttercup here, notice there's a bit of speedwell amongst it.

Secondary Roads said...

Thanks. It's good to see such images. The result is that I'm in a "sweet spot." And that's very nice.

Unknown said...

Dear Joan, You are making me yearn for warmer days with these beautiful buttercups. As a child I would pick armfuls and armfuls of them - thank goodness that my mother was a good sport and placed them lovingly in vases as though they were the most precious flowers on the Earth. Buttercups always bring such lovely, warm feelings to mind and for some reason I can picture my mother's face and her protective hug every time I see them.

Do you have/or did you ever have buttercup medicine when you were younger? Just for fun (I hope you don't mind me adding the link) - it is still on our NHS pages: http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?medicine=Buttercup%20syrup

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- we all needed something cheerful

Carol- yes there is. Maybe I'll feature it one of these days. I miss being able to comment on your blog.

Chuck- Hold that spot for me

Polly- I never heard of buttercup syrup. I don't mind links when they are relevant like this! Glad to provide some memories, mine are similar.

RNSANE said...

I think there is nothing so cheery as buttercups and their brilliant yellow color. Here, along California roads, yellow lupine, considered a pest, blooms beautifully. I love it but many don't.