Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, October 27, 2013

If the Path Is Straight

 
If the path is straight, you can be sure it is artificial.

rail bed now trail

And here's my philosophical rant for the day. I made time to go for a hike this afternoon. The trail follows a piece of old logging rail bed for a short distance. You can tell in an instant that this was arranged by humans.

This section of pathway looks much more natural, curving around between the trees.

trail

I got to thinking about straight and meandering trails. We'd like our life's pathways to be straight and level. No bumps, no unseen dangers around the next bend, certainly no mountains to climb. But if we are out hiking, we'd quickly consider that boring, even poor trail design.

Yet, we ask God all the time to make our lives straight and level. But God says... that's only the way humans design paths. I don't promise easy trails. I do promise to be there with you on the journey and to provide a worthy destination.

I concluded my time in the woods by spontaneously singing "I know where I'm going, and I know who's going with me."

Enjoy some other images from the hike.

shelf fungus

red pines

knothole pond



if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

5 comments:

rainfield61 said...

Although the hiking trail may be straight, there are invasive monkeys around.

Lin said...

But sometimes I like the boring straight trail....can I have a mixture on my hike of life?

Ann said...

Forrest Gump was wrong, life isn't like a box of chocolates, it's like a hiking trail :)
That last one looks like a Halloween monster.

Secondary Roads said...

The twists and turns do keep life interesting. You struggle up the hills. And then you find a clear spot ahead and it is a scenic overlook.

Sharkbytes said...

rainfield- you made me laugh! I have to say, I've never seen a monkey on the trail here!

Lin- if you are lucky...

Ann- yes, it is... I never did quite get the box of chocolates thing

Chuck- welcome back! It might be an overlook, hopefully a scenic one instead of a view of the local landfill.