Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, September 8, 2013

No Question of Gender Here

 
Sometimes telling the gender of an insect is super easy. If it's actively laying eggs, it's pretty safe to assume it's female!

praying mantis laying eggs

As to her choice of location... not the greatest. I was trying to get some edging put in around a flower bed, but didn't succeed- I think it's been rolled too long, it wouldn't cooperate. Anyway, I was going to throw it in the shed for winter, but discovered it was in use.

praying mantis laying eggs
I left her to finish the work, and I won't disturb it any more.

Questions in the comments lead me to add that the eggs are encased in that tan foamy stuff. It hardens into something that feels a little bit like styrofoam, and is easy to recognize as a mantis egg case.

See Green Teenager
See I Caught a Fairy!
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

6 comments:

Ann said...

how interesting. Odd looking eggs but very interesting

Lin said...

VERY cool! I believe the eggs are inside the foam. The foam will harden and will protect the eggs from the elements. I think after it dries, you can move it safely. I put mine in the shed for the winter and moved it to a place in the spring where I would notice them hatching.

Can't wait to see the babies!!

I'm glad you like this stuff as much as I do, Sharkey.

Secondary Roads said...

Neat pics. I enjoy watching them.

Was it her husband who, in the midst of an argument said, "Well, you don't have to bite my head off."?

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- see extra text I added in the main blog post

Lin- I'll try to catch them come spring. Last year I had an egg case on the kitchen steps, but I didn't manage to be there before they all disappeared one day.

Chuck- haha, pretty funny

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Wonderful photos of a perfectly beautiful creature! And, yes … there is no question of gender here.

Just this past Saturday I was at an event where I was walking across an open grassy are with a friend … and she spotted a praying mantis. Knowing that the grounds would soon be filled with folk, we picked her up (she quickly crawled up my arm and into my hair!) and brought her to safe ground at a hedgerow. :)

RNSANE said...

That is so interesting. I guess they aren't too choosy where they lay eggs. Wonder how many of them survive!