Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bloodroot

 
You seen this one before. If you are visiting nature blogs from the U.S. Northeast, you are probably seeing it everywhere. I'm not going to fight the tide. Why should I, when it's one of the prettiest spring flowers. This is Bloodroot, Sanguinaria canadensis. The root exudes a red dye, hence the name.

I have a bud for you first. These flowers don't last long, and they don't open wide unless there is sun. The leaves stay wrapped around the stem, usually till after the bloom is gone.

bloodroot bud

After the flower drops, the seed pod remains, and the leaves open wide.

bloodroot leaves

See More Flowers in the Cemetery Ravine
if you like this blog, click the +1  

7 comments:

rainfield61 said...

The name is "terrifying".

Unknown said...

These are really sweet, and new to me. The pictures show the miracle of the opening leaves to perfection.

RNSANE said...

It is such a dainty, delicate looking flower, Joan...a tiny beauty.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I've been keeping my eye out for the lovely bloodroot blossoms … haven't spotted any yet ~ so this is a such a treat ~ thanks for sharing!

john bain said...

The leaves are beautiful too. There is a lot to wonder at with this little plant.

Ann said...

I like this one. Such a pretty little flower and I like those leaves too

Sharkbytes said...

rainfield- yes, sometimes we get used to the names and don't think about how they sound. The one that always throws me is the blood orange

Jean- glad to bring you a "new" flower. They may be North American

Carmen- one of my spring favorites

Rose- They bloom for such a short time span, some years I miss them completely

John- I really like the leaves best. I will keep trying for an open flower- they are like a pure waxy daisy.

Ann- I think the leaves are fascinating. Like an angel folding its wings or something