Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Birds on the Move

Well, it IS fall. Lots of birds are moving to different digs for the winter. The pigeons don't bother. They hang around the grain elevator and have heat and food all winter. But they did seem restless today.

flock of pigeons

Next, is a poor picture of an extremely common bird. What's the point, you may wonder. The oddity here is that although blue jays seem to be everywhere else, I almost never see one in my yard. Whatever combination of plants and terrain they like, I don't seem to have. But this one landed in an apple, and I managed to catch the proof.

blue jay

I saved the best for last. The starlings were squawking and squealing like crazy, sitting on our roof. Then they flew off, but one bird landed in the top of an aspen. It didn't look like a starling, but I couldn't ID it from the distance. I grabbed the camera and caught one pose before it flew off. When I blew it up on the computer tonight, I was really surprised to find a flicker.

Although they are common in my yard in early summer, I rarely see them in the fall.

flicker

I made myself spend the afternoon writing, and finished two chapters of News from Dead Mule Swamp. Tonight was a meeting of the West Side Gang, the local writers' support group. They are loving the book, which, of course, makes me feel great. Hopefully I'll really finish this and have something that's seriously marketable.

I haven't blogged here about writing for a while, because I've moved all that to Shark Bytes and Tales.

Tomorrow is a work day. Who knows what pictures I might come home with!

See Northern Flicker
if you like this blog, click the +1  

9 comments:

betchai said...

wishing you very well on your book writing Sharkbytes. those bird pictures are beautiful.

Secondary Roads said...

For the last couple of days, I've seen a flicker on our lawn.

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures. I am a big bird enthusiast and have a huge collection of bird figurines. Among my favourites are figurines of the Blue Jay! I am a new Follower of your Blog from Jamaica.

Ann said...

no matter how common I always enjoy any bird who might visit my yard. I take their pictures over and over again

jeanlivingsimple said...

I feel it is the story behind a picture that makes it great.
All your bird photos are great!
I like the title of your book in progress. I must visit your other blog.

john bain said...

I just can't seem to photograph birds.

Sharkbytes said...

Thanks, betchai- I just need to keep at it. I get sidetracked onto a thousand other projects

Chuck- very nice- I suppose they have to be somewhere!

Judy- Thank you! Do the real blue jays visit Jamaica?

Ann- I know! It's so neat to have things that move around

Jean- I agree- even I get tired of pretty pictures if people don't tell me why they like them.

John- you have to use a camera ;-P

Ferd said...

That IS a sight, the Northern Flicker!
Right now we are having a feast day of woodpeckers around here, including flickers and Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers. Migration seasons are special!

Have you seen Steve Martin's The Big Year yet? It's a great movie for birders!

RNSANE said...

I rarely do well with bird photography!!!

Good luck with your writing. I keep hoping, someday, to sit down and get serious about mine!