Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Urban Hiking


There are interesting things about hikes like this one which includes some roads and none of it is really on single-track trail in the woods. These are more pictures from Monday.

First is a culvert that was designed to allow hikers to pass under a railroad.

tunnel

This amazing bridge takes walkers, bikes and horseback riders across the interstate. Someone managed to secure some money for alternate transportation for this one!

bridge over interstate

How do you find your way, you might ask? Our path is marked by cairns.

gravemarkers with name Cairns

Just kidding of course, there are painted blazes, but this was too funny to pass up.


8 comments:

rainfield61 said...

Some hike in the real world, some hike virtually.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Even if it's not through the woods, it looks like you get to see some interesting places.

john bain said...

What is it about tunnels..?

Secondary Roads said...

The cairn comment sent me to the dictionary. Now that I've learned something new today, I've met my goal and can go take a nap.

Just kidding -- outdoor work awaits on this beautiful and cool Michigan day.

vanilla said...

*chuckles*

Ann said...

I see a light at the end of the tunnel :)
I had to look up cairn too, I don't believe I've ever heard it used before

Lin said...

LOVE the tunnel shot. Good photo!

RNSANE said...

If only hiking vicariously benefitted one cardiovascularly!