Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Trees Finally Looking Spring-like


beech buds

Finally, trees are beginning to look feathery and colorful. I'll share a few. First is the lovely American Beech, Fagus grandifolia. These are unfurling leaves.

sassafras buds

Not sure about feathery? How about globular? This is the Sassafras Sassafras albidum, a tree that really needs an entry all its own... one of these days.

boxelder

Here's the lowly boxelder in flower. It's a maple, Acer negundo, even though the leaves don't look maple-like.

Sorry, nothing creative, just some botany today. But it makes me happy!


See Some Opposite Maples


13 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Bud burst is fascinating - "from trees looking the same, to each one being different, just like us as babies" (from the mouth of a child).
I had never looked at it that way -

RNSANE said...

Such wonderful variety in the trees around you. It's definitely a change of season!!!

sir rob said...

Good for you shark, the other day I was surprised how hot it is already. Then I read in the news that it was about 115 degrees. Geeee..!!

Karen and Gerard said...

It seems our trees all got leaves on them last week! I am so happy!!!

Ann said...

Seeing the trees come back to life after a long winter's nap is certainly cause for happiness and deserving of a post :)

vanilla said...

The trees at this stage make my heart sing! Beautiful, and the earnest that summer is nigh.

I collected a bunch of tender young sassafras leaves to make file` and spouse threw them out. Guess I should "communicate" better.

Dave said...

The rain really helped do this in my area. Stuff is really green here in Grand Rapids

Thanks for sharing.

gallerydarrow said...

Congrats! I love the shots, happy spring.....

betchai said...

those are always a sign for celebration, hope it continues to get better and better and have fun with spring

rainfield61 said...

Some simple things still able to make us feeling very happy.

Emma Springfield said...

I am especially fond of trees. When I see an attractive one, I will stop and just gaze at it until I get my fill. I believe in my next life I will be a wood fairy.

spinninglovelydays said...

How uncanny! I was just reading about somebody being introduced to the taste of sassafras and wondering what that was. I'll look out for that entry.
I guess it really is finally spring over there. :)

Sharkbytes said...

Carol- they look SO different in the spring from summer dress.

Carmen- I love the colors of spring. It's as good as fall in a subtle way

borris- I really wouldn't be able to tolerate those temps!

Karen- I know! They just suddenly all got leaves in about 3 days!

Ann- I may have to try to get a variety of spring tree colors.

Vanilla- surely your trees are all leafed out in Indiana. I remember how odd it was to see redbuds in bloom in early March.

Dave- thanks for stopping by! Om says that GR is much greener than here.

Ro- thank you! Yes, it finally is really spring.

betchai- now, of course, it's all happening at once, and I can't keep pace!

rainfield- even a little bud or bug can make me feel like shouting!

Emma- Trees are so varied and interesting in their shapes and colors and bark! I'll look for a dryad for you.