Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rhubarb


Most of my US friends probably know what rhubarb is, but maybe not everyone around the world. So I thought I'd show you more than the end result.

rhubarb plant

Rhubarb is sometimes called "Pie Plant," because that's one of the best ways that it ends up. It's a leafy vegetable, although those big beautiful leaves are toxic, and it's used more like a fruit. The dried up leaves on the lower left are the ones I cut yesterday. I put the discarded leaves around the plant to act as a mulch/compost.

rhubarb stalks

What you want to collect are the stalks. They look and feel sort of like thick celery. But they don't taste anything like celery! The taste is extremely tart. I can eat it raw, but not too much. It needs a little sugar with it to be palatable, but with that bit of sweetening, it's one of my favorite flavors.

rhubarb flower buds

Here is a stalk that is trying to go to flower. These are just buds. I'll cut that off, to keep it producing leaves and stalks.

rhubarb pie

Ah, here we are! This is my favorite use for rhubarb. Pie! Pie for breakfast, pie for dessert. Did I mention that I like pie?


See And a Wonderful Meal it Was


9 comments:

Emma Springfield said...

Mmmm. I like rhubarb. Pies, preserves, raw... all good.

betchai said...

hmmmm, can you please pass a slice for me? :)

John | Daily Photo said...

My grandma used to make the best rhubarb pie ever :-)

rainfield61 said...

No idea, but I am willing to try.

Please get one for me.

Secondary Roads said...

I love love love rhubarb. Try mixing a little apple or cherry with your rhubarb for variety. Added bread crumbs help absorb excess moisture. Some folks like to add an egg to the filling mixture. One of my favorites is rhubarb crisp--no crust, just oats and brown sugar sprinkled on top. I'm hungry!

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Well I never - I always thought Rhubarb was only truly enjoyed by us - we love it here, with custard, as a crumble and raw - also use to make rhubarb & blackcurrant jam. We are going to have rhubarb for pud tomorrow.

Duxbury Ramblers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

I've never had just plain rhubarb but I have had a strawberry and rhubarb pie. that is delicious. I want a piece of pie now

Sharkbytes said...

Emma- It's really good stuff!

betchai- sure! slices for everyone.

John- Grandma's are good like that... most of 'em anyway.

Chuck- I have a whole book full of rhubarb recipes, and a few extras that we really like too.

Carol- while I was writing this I looked on wikipedia and discovered that it's also been known in China for centuries. I'm thinking maybe not tropical climates though. Maybe it's one of our northern treats.

Ann- Pie for all! Virtual pies can be shared indefinitely.