Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, January 3, 2011

An Encampment of British Soldiers


British Soldiers

Just a dusting of snow on the "way back" to winter. But the wind was calm, and it was actually a beautiful day for a walk. Did you know that there is an army in my backyard? It's even a foreign invasion! I viewed their encampment this morning from a spot of high ground.

British Soldiers

OK, so they aren't people after all, they are a little lichen. To be botanical... Cladonia Cristatella. Some people call them matchstick lichen, or Red Crest lichen.
British Soldiers

Tomorrow I'll award the December top commenters links.


See Winter Rainbows I


6 comments:

Julia said...

I liken it! I LIKEN it!

jeanlivingsimple said...

Very Cool, Shark!:)

Duxbury Ramblers said...

It grows here, we call it Red Crest as well as British Soldier. One that I have never found, it is lovely.

rainfield61 said...

Your home is safe for sure with an army around.

Ann said...

how nice to see the color peaking through the snow. I can't wait for spring to start seeing some color around here. I think I've got a long wait :)

Lin said...

You didn't blow their cover, did you?? ;)

How come I don't have cool stuff like that growing in my yard?? Jealous.