Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, August 27, 2010

Writing, August 27


Devotions for HikersI have two pretty exciting things to tell you about today. First, I've published my first eBook. This is an electronic version of a booklet I've been selling for a few years.

I'm actually working on a series of eBooks that are collections of the essays I write for my monthly newspaper column. But as I've been struggling to format the first one correctly, I decided to start with Devotions for Hikers, because it's all text except for the cover photo. It made a really good test case to be sure I was doing things right. It went through the "AutoVetter" on the first try! (In other words, I did it right.)

The second book, and first collection of essays, should be done this weekend, and will be called "Get Off the Couch with Joan." The column is "Get off the Couch," so these collections will all have that theme in the name. I'm having a hard time deciding on a price though. I'm open to suggestions. What would you think is a reasonable price for an electronic book of about 5000 words with about 30 photos? I'm seriously looking for help here. Most of the eBook catalogs don't tell you how many words you are getting for $X.XX, and there are no pages in eBooks.

Devotions for Hikers

Off the Sanctuary WallMy second announcement is the beginning of another blog. I'm a little scared about this one. It's something I've wanted to do for a long, long time. But it's also going to require some serious work. It's called "Off the Sanctuary Wall," and the tag line is "Exploring Christian faith with intelligence and integrity (and a quirk or two)." This blog is meant to provoke thought about Christian living, Christian philosophy, and interpretation of Scripture.

I know that not all readers of this blog will find "Off the Wall" appealing. That's ok. But, anyone who wants to stop by and read, comment, play the Friday games, is more than welcome.

Off the Sanctuary Wall

Tomorrow... something RED!



10 comments:

RNSANE said...

I admire your stamina, Joan. I can hardly get through one blog and I seriously don't think I could keep it up if I were still working, at least not on a daily basis.

Congratulations on all your endevours. You are a wonderful writer and I will try to keep up with all of them as time permits.

Ann said...

You sure are one busy lady, where do you find all the time to do all of that? Wish I could be of help with the pricing but I've never even looked at e-books to know what kind of prices they are going for.
Congrats on the book and the new blog best of luck with both of them

Glynis Peters said...

You wear me out Joan!
This article might be of interest to you. http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2009/10/kindle-numbers-traditional-publishing.html

Secondary Roads said...

I've added Off the Wall to the Secondary Roads blog list. That is a wonderful blog that you have started.

jeanlivingsimple said...

You are an inspiration! Congratulations on you e-book and new blog. I can't help you with the pricing of the book. I tried to follow your new blog but was told to try again later(???)which I will.

Anonymous said...

Your books sound interesting! I may be checking them out when they come out.

Lindsey

spinninglovelydays said...

Sorry, can't help with the pricing either, but congratulations on the ebook. I'm over at Off the Sanctuary Wall right now answering the quiz (or trying to, lol)

Rick (Ratty) said...

I'm not a good person to help on prices. I'm just no good at things like that. Your new blog idea sounds like a good one. I'm not a religious person, but I do appreciate reading about things like that, especially when it is done with intelligence. I'll be sure to read it, but I feel wrong to comment on things like that much. I still think it's an excellent idea for a blog. It should be excellent.

Sharkbytes said...

Carmen- well, I'm considering the blogging part of my money-making efforts, although a part that I really enjoy!

Ann- thanks! I finally found the catalog of listings so I got an idea on the pricing.

Glynis- that was really interesting. Since I'm not really doing anything major in fiction, it may not apply, but I hope to do quite a bit more with some inexpensive non-fiction things.

Chuck- I'm sure hoping that a lot of other people will agree with you!

Jean- not sure why you got an error message, but thank you!

Lindsey- thank you!

Ivy- glad you enjoyed the game.

Ratty- thanks for your comments. I know that lots of people don't agree with Christian philosophy these days, and the Christians can't even agree, but I'm just hoping to be honest and moderately intelligent.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

will be having a look at the e books and the new blog, you certainly put a lot of hours into a day:)