Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, February 5, 2010

A Dear Visitor Under the Apple Tree


whitetail deer

I have been given an award by wenn, but I couldn't get organized quite enough to properly accept and pass that along for today, maybe tomorrow!

Today, I'll show you this dear little deer who came strolling across the yard and went looking for old apples under the snow just outside the kitchen door. This is just slightly beyond the apple tree that shows up in my posts from time to time.

whitetail deer

She was alone and quite small, maybe only 70 pounds or so. Even though she was bold enough to come so near the house, she really wanted to stay as hidden as possible in the underbrush.

whitetail deer

Oh, I caught you out in the open once, little girl!

whitetail deer

Time to mosey on down the line of apple trees, casually, as if that person with the camera had never seen her.


See Deer Buffet
See Feeling Overwhelmed, Oh Deer! for another young doe, and a nursing fawn


15 comments:

Webbielady said...

Oh poor dear old dear! It's difficult to look for food this season especially if it's all covered with snow. I throw breadcrumbs in my window for the birds.

Too much snow in your area, lucky our has dissolved as of yesterday (Gelderland, Netherlands).

John | Daily Photo Gallery said...

I'd love the chance to be able to take photos of wild deer. I rarely see them except in deer parks :-(

How long did she stay near the house?

VanillaSeven said...

You had a very close encounter with the deer Sharkie. Quite seldom to heard animal died of hunger though while its possible case.

Anonymous said...

When I was in Land O' Lakes Florida, we were frequently visited by animals like deer, bobcat, armadillo, snake, condor (or were they vultures), fox. I was so thrilled to see them. they were coming from the conservation behind my sister's house.

RNSANE said...

What a dear little deer, Shark!! It's such a tiny thing. I hope he/she was able to find a little snack somewhere today!

Silvergirl said...

wow that is great!! nice captured

Unknown said...

Nice..very nice indeed..

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Lovely to see - ours are about but have only seen the tracks lately.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Sweet pictures, thanks for sharing them! :-)

Ann said...

Oh how wonderful to look out your window and see such a sight. Thanks for sharing your visitor

Julia said...

She looks tiny and thin. It's hard out there in all that snow. Burning up all your calories to keep warm has it's cost.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I love every little deer I see. This one is another little treat. I wish I could be lucky enough to see deer again, but it seems as if they are hiding better here since the weather got cold.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Webbielady! Well, we have much less snow this year than some (half of last year), so the deer aren't having much trouble finding food. What I found surprising was that this deer was alone.

Hi John- Not very long... maybe 10 minutes, max.

Vanilla- when we have really harsh winters quite a few deer die. There are just way too many of them here, and hunting has been down the last few years. I know that sounds cruel, but "wild" deer have been managed so long that hunters are part of the equation.

Hi Grace- Oh, I would love to see the little Florida key deer!

Carmen- I bet she did. There isn't very much snow right now, and they aren't chewing up the trees yet (for which I am thankful)

Silvergirl- Hi- thanks for coming by.

Nightblastz- I like the one in the open- it has some expression!

Duxbury- They sure hide when they want to, don't they?

Dennis- You are probably almost as big as she was.

Hi Ann- I thought I saw something go past my office window, then decided I was seeing a shadow, and then realized it was this little girl right near the house!

Julia- Not too thin, I think. But what I don't understand is why she wasn't with the local herd.

Ratty- I know, they are like pets to you! For me, to be honest, they are something between pets and dinner. Most of the food on our table as a kid was wild game.

Webbielady said...

Hi Sharkie! Thanks for the reply but that deear is supposed to be in group? Hmmm... I amnot so familiarhow animals act as I grew in tropical country. Anyway,maybe there are not so many deers around that's why our old dear deer here is alone?

Anonymous said...

That must be exciting to see a deer so close..She is so cute in the third picture!