Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Contest Day! - Win an Ad for a Month


This contest has a total of 10 possible points. The highest scoring entry (in the comment field) before 9 pm (EST) Monday, May 4, will win a free 125x125 ad for a month.

One of the few things I will regret about being gone for most of May this year is that I will miss many of the flowers that I thought I would share here. And WiseAcre has beaten me to the punch with most of the spring wildflowers, but I suppose I can't blame him just because northern New York decided to have spring before lower Michigan this year, although that seems pretty weird to me. His pictures are quite fantastic!

But I will test what you learned from him! That will cheer me up. So everyone should get the first 3 points.

1 - identify this flower - 1 pt (common name ok)
contest photo 01

2 - identify this flower - 1 pt (common name ok)
contest photo 02

3 - identify the flower that these leaves go with - 1 pt (common name ok)
contest photo 03

4 - 3 possible points - This question is harder... it might determine the winner! These two leaf pictures are different species of the same genus of spring wildflower, but they will bloom in May after I leave. The flowers will be almost identical, but as you can see the leaves are quite different. One point for the common name of the genus. The plant on the left is the common ____________. But there is another point for the descriptive name of the one on the right. The third point can be earned for the Latin name of the genus which can help you remember the common name of the genus, or vice-versa.

contest photo 04contest photo 05

The next four questions are the new words I encountered this week

5 - choose the correct use of the word - 1 pt
The first word is one that I've often heard, as in cornpone, but I discovered that I needed to refine my understanding of it.
PONE
    a. Cornpone is a gruel eaten with a spoon
    b. The cook baked the corn in a cast iron pone.
    c. Pone bread has no egg or milk and was traditionally baked in the ashes of a fire
    d. A pone of corn is one pint.

6 - choose the correct use of the word - 1 pt
QUIPA or QUIPO (KEY-puh or KEY-poo)
    a. The jockey urged his horse on with a quipo made of braided thongs.
    b. The Quipo Indians originally lived in Ohio and southern Michigan before migrating to Texas.
    c. She was a master at puns, repartee, and quipas.
    d. The Inca quipo of knotted cords was used for counting.

7 - choose the correct use of the phrase - 1 pt
SOCKS and BUSKINERS (SAHKS and BUS-kin-ers)
    a. Socks and buskiners refers to the two types of vaudeville- comedians wore socks and tragedians wore buskins, a type of gaiter.
    b. Puritan disciple was administered by the socks and buskiners
    c. Socks and buskiners are two color patterns on the legs of horses.
    d. Before electronic instruments, wind speed at small airports was measured by socks and buskiners.

8 - choose the correct use of the word - 1 pt
CATAMITE (CAT-uh-mite)
    a. Catamite is a genus of the mustard family.
    b. The Emperor kept the boy as his catamite.
    c. The Finnish bread was seasoned with catamite.
    d. Catamite is the common name of a member of the mint family.

See Words of the Week

8 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

I'm not even going to attempt this one because I'm terrible at remembering. Some of it looks familiar to me. I just wanted to say good luck to anyone else who can do better. Maybe I'll learn something.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Ratty, Ratty, Ratty... go over to WiseAcres acres and get 3 free answers. You can guess on the word ones. Did I make it too hard to be fun?

betchai said...

1- trout lily

oh oh, i am lost :(

i will research first :))

Julia said...

The first two are pretty easy even for me... Lily and bleeding hearts (Dicentra). Then bloodroot (Sanguinaria) I actually went on an early spring hike in Minnesota one year and saw them in bloom. I haven't a clue on the leaves of the next few. They look like Ranunculus or Delphinium but not knowing your plants well I could not say. And the rest of the quiz will take me actually studying!

Fun once again! Thanks. :)

WiseAcre said...

#4 - you aren't being nice - the leaf on the right looks similar in 3 different genus. (and all have spring blooms)

Ranunculus is Late Latin for "little frog," - Well that won't help me remember Buttercup. The leaf that looks closest to the one on the right.

Viola - That does ring the common name bell - but the leaves aren't quite right.

Delphinium - The Spring Larkspur has leaves that are similar to the pic on the right. (not in my range)

Ya should have thrown the flower color in the hints :)

The leaves on the left are throwing me off. I'd have to guess Buttercup based on the leaf. I need to see the flower before I make any positive ID.

I can't count the times I wanted to stuff a pone loving emperor in a buskin and bake him in more than hot ashes. Having a catamite is just plain wrong.

(hold this comment until you have a wiener - I don't want to influence anyone)

Now go take a hike.

Sharkbytes said...

I won't make comments on anyone's entries until tomorrow night when the contest ends, but I have to say that Wise Acre, you do crack wise! I needed a chuckle tonight after a long, focused day.

You make a good point on #4. The flowers are white with four petals. That will eliminate some guesses. But I wanted ONE question that would be a real stumper.

WiseAcre said...

I got it. I still say the right leaf looks more like a common buttercup. But then boht my eyes and teeth are not what they used to be. I have to wear bifocals and dentaria now.

So bite me and the wort I rode in on :)

Julia said...

Ok that makes me think Brassicaceae for the family on the mystery leaves. Hmmmmm.